Heritage Open Day at St George’s!

23rd August 2019

As part of our 150th Anniversary Year celebrations we are opening up the College grounds and buildings to the community. This is a unique chance to enjoy a tour of the buildings & grounds, spend a few moments in our beautiful chapel, and learn about the extraordinary people who have shaped the history & face of the site over the centuries.
Our Open Day presents a special opportunity to visit St George’s. It was founded in 1869 in Croydon by a Belgian Catholic order of priests called the Josephites and relocated to Woburn Park, Weybridge in 1884.

The 18th century Woburn Park was known for being the first Ornamental Farm (a “Fermé Orneé”) developed by its owner, Sir Philip Southcote. The working farm was contained within an ornamental walkway, and had many architectural features. The garden was beautiful enough to attract the attention of Capability Brown and William Kent, who visited it to learn about the design. All that remains of it is a grotto, and ornamental archway which is attributed to William Kent.
After Southcote’s death in 1758, the estate had numerous owners including Vice Admiral Charles Stirling, the King family who were the founders of Brooklands Racetrack; the eccentric, flamboyant Lord Kilmorey and finally Lord Petre who established the first Catholic school on the site in 1876 before selling it to the Josephites.
On our Open Day you will be able to tour the beautiful buildings and grounds, and learn about the extraordinary people who have shaped the site and the College over the years. See the stone grotto (the last remaining whisper of the “Fermé Orneé”), our Kent archway, our poignant War Memorial and tranquil Chapel, and some of our quirky school memorabilia.

Learn about The Man in the Ratskin Coat, The Caning Steps and the Curious Things that are buried in our cemetery!

Pre Booking is required.

Opening Times

Sunday 15 September: 13.00 to 17.30
Tours are at 14.00; 15.00 and 16.00.
Book by email to Ross Richardson at

Read More